Fibromyalgia (fibro) is a chronic pain syndrome. A report published by the American Chronic Pain Association reveals that 6 to 12 million people in the US are living with the disorder. If you or a family member happens to be one of them, then Duben Holistic Chiropractic Center can help. Our Thousand Oaks chiropractor uses holistic and drug-free wellness methods to help patients fight this debilitating condition.
Fibromyalgia and What Causes It
Fibro is a mysterious illness that causes mild to severe widespread pain. The pain starts from any of the 18 trigger points or tender spots located in the neck, back, shoulders, knees, and other areas. It is hard to tell what triggers the pain and other symptoms since some of them mimic other health conditions.
However, slight pain feels intense or unbearable to those battling fibro. Medical researchers are not sure why, but suspect it stems from an imbalance in the nervous system that affects how the brain and body feel pain. Other causes include infections and physical or emotional trauma. Risk factors include genetics, chronic stress, and inflammatory disorders such as lupus or arthritis.
Common Fibro Symptoms
Studies show that people living with fibro are more likely to have trouble with anxiety and depression than those without the condition. They may also experience headaches, jaw pain, chronic fatigue, mood swings, or:
- Sleep disturbances
- Joint and muscle pain or stiffness
- Tingling and numbness in the hands or feet
- Poor concentration or difficulty with memory ("fibro-fog")
Our chiropractor will try to make a diagnosis by gently pressing on the tender spots to see it which ones trigger pain. We may also order an x-ray, MRI, or CT scan of the spine to look for imbalances that interfere with how the body sense pain.
Chiropractic Care for Fibromyalgia by Our Thousand Oaks Chiropractor
If you're diagnosed with fibro, we may recommend a mix of the following natural treatments:
- Chiropractic Adjustments – A chiropractor may perform non-invasive spinal adjustments to restore musculoskeletal and nervous system balance. Adjusting or repositioning the spine is an effective way to relieve neck and back pain. It frees the nerve and soft tissue and reduces symptoms such as inflammation, stiffness, numbness, and tingling. Extremity adjustments of the shoulders or knees also help to relieve symptoms coming from the tender points.
- Laser Therapy − Helps to increase blood circulation, relax the muscles, and maximize overall healing.
- Neuro Emotional Technique – A mind-body approach to relieving stress. It combines a myriad of other techniques and ideas and is a holistic approach designed to provide a high-level of wellbeing.
Other holistic options to improve fibro symptoms include neuropathy care, massage therapy, longer sleep, eating healthy, and exercising.
Start Holistic Chiropractic Care Today
Fibro symptoms can make everyday living difficult. While there is no cure for fibromyalgia, Duben Holistic Chiropractic Center can help alleviate the pain and discomfort. Whether you live in Thousand Oaks California or a nearby city, you can call 805-468-4437 to request an appointment.